Well Dayum! It looks as though Hip Hop may have to find itself a new fancy brand of cars to brag about!
In an unexpected announcement last week, Daimler AG revealed that they will be discontinuing their luxury Maybach vehicles soon due to low sales and lack of profits. Last year, there were reportedly less than 200 Maybachs sold, which carried a starting price of $375,250 — one of which Kanye West and Jay-Z happily chopped and screwed for their music video, ‘Otis.’
To make up for the financial loss, Daimler Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche plans on expanding the company’s now three Mercedes-Benz S-Class model to six in 2013.
“We came to the strong conclusion that the sales chances for the Mercedes brand are much stronger than those for Maybach.”
The luxury vehicles have been the ride of choice for rappers over the years, making appearances in numerous hip hop videos and being the motivation behind the name of Rick Ross’ label, Maybach Music Group. Last year, fans of Diddy’s son Justin Combs were left green with envy when he was presented with a $350,000 Maybach for his 16th birthday during MTV’s Sweet 16 special.
You have to wonder if Hip Hop’s influence had any impact on sales…
Most Popular Articles
- The View’s Sherri Shepherd’s Husband Caught CHEATING!!! Guess With Who….
- Can Sherri Shepherd’s Marriage Survive This Scandal?
- #FAIL Woman Loses Teeth in Fight at Walmart Nail Salon! [VIDEO]
- Turkey Jam w/ Anthony Hamilton Coming To Cleveland [EVENT]
- Erykah Badu Laugh and Love Tour
- Video: ‘Basketball Wives’ Cast Changes?! Shaunie speaks..
- Lauren London Pregnant By The Dream?!
- Nicki Minaj & Cher Twitter Beef!
- Tamar Braxton performs Gladys Knight Tribute on Soul Train 2011!
- Jill Scott – So In Love feat Anthony Hamilton [Video]