How many of you say that you love Jesus? Well, this devotional will be a litmus test as to whether that is true, based on the Bible. The church has sung for years, “Oh how I love Jesus….” But do we really know what that means? I am convinced that many Christians have no idea what it means to really love Jesus.
Loving Jesus is of paramount importance. So, let’s look at the distinguishing characteristics of a person who does.
1. He/She will keep His words or commandments. Unfortunately, we make loving Jesus more difficult than it truly is. I John 5:3 says that “His commandments are not grievous. All that is require to really love Jesus is to simply do what He says. Living for Jesus gets easier the more that you do it. Repetition is the mother of learning, and the more that you do anything, the better you become at it.
2. He/She will lay down their lives for Him. Jesus says in John 15:13-14 “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if you do whatsoever I command you.” So, Jesus gives a clear line of demarcation as to those who love him and those who don’t. Ask yourself this question: Do I obey His Word in every area of my life.? If you are honest, you will be able to answer that question with crystal clarity.
3. He/She will not love the world. I John 2:15 says “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
When we really love Jesus, we can expect these results :
1. Jesus and the Father will make their abode in us and manifest themselves. (John 14:21, 23) They will take up residence in our lives, and Jesus will reveal Himself to us in every situation that we encounter.
2. There will be progressive intimacy with Him. John 15:15 tells us that, if we love Him, we move from being a servant to a friend, and later Jesus calls us brethren. This is progressive intimacy.
3. More assistance through the Holy Spirit (John 14:15-17, 26)
In conclusion, I ask the same question: Do we really love Jesus?
If you have identified that you don’t, I want to encourage you to start. By doing so, you give Him avenues by which to manifest Himself in your life, and you will walk in the “Fullness of the Blessing” this year.
Scripture Of The Day: “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” – John 14:21 (KJV)