Temperatures are expected to drop below zero this week — and that could lead to icy buildup on your vehicle if it’s left outside in the frigid weather.
We checked out a few cold weather tips that may help if you have to park your car outside. Most of the items below can be found in your home or during a quick trip to the store.
1. Homemade deicer: Mix of isopropyl alcohol (2/3 cup) and water (1/3 cup) and gently pour it into a spray bottle for an even application on your windshield.
2. Prevention: Cut a potato or onion in half and rub it on your windows and windshield. The sugars from the vegetables will help create a barrier and prevent ice from forming.
3. Put a zip lock bag (one gallon size) over your side mirrors to protect it from icy buildup.
4. Place a mat or towel on your windshield and knee-high socks on your windshield wipers can help to prevent ice from forming on the surface.
5. No ice scraper? No problem. Try a credit card.
Follow the link below for more cold weather tips for your car.