LORAIN, Ohio — Hundreds, if not thousands, of needles were found at a Lorain home where two men died from an opioid overdose this week, according to the Lorain Police Department.
On Wednesday, police responded to a home on West 26th Street and found two men lying on a tattered mattress on the floor in the living room.
According to the police report, an EMS worker said neither man showed signs of life and estimated both of them had been dead for a couple of hours.
The girlfriend of one of the deceased men said she called her boyfriend’s phone and when he didn’t answer, she went over to the abandoned home because it was one of “his favorite places to visit,” the report stated.
The girlfriend said when she arrived, the door was locked, so she climbed through the broken basement window and found her boyfriend and the second man.
Authorities found hundreds or perhaps thousands of hypodermic needles. According to police, it appeared the house had been on fire at some point because of the smell of smoke and the upstairs carpet was saturated with moisture.
The home had no running water so the upstairs bathroom was overflowing with feces, the report said.
Police said the abandoned home is frequented by drug users. The home appeared to be in deplorable condition, with rotting floors and a broken foundation. The home poses a major health and safety hazard.
Outside the home, trash was strewn in the backyard and on the porch. A neighbor, Raul Agosta, said he wasn’t surprised to hear what happened at the house.
“Those guys came over there with beer in the morning and drank in the back,” Agosta said. “They got all that junk back there and that’s where they go.”
Agosta, who has lived next door since 1970, said the problems have been going on for more than a year and said he would be happy to see the house torn down.
“If I want to sell my house, they look at that, probably they walk away,” Agosta said.
READ MORE: News5Cleveland.com
Article Courtesy of WEWS News 5 Cleveland
First Picture Courtesy of Photofusion and Getty Images
Second Picture Courtesy of Marianne Williams Photography, http://halfasecondorless.com, and Getty Images
Tweet and Third Picture Courtesy of Twitter and WEWS News 5 Cleveland
LOCAL NEWS: Lorain House Where Men Died of Overdoses Discovered with Lots of Needles was originally published on wzakcleveland.com