The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland has announced a new bishop after the last one, Bishop Nelson Perez, had left back in January of 2020 for a position out-of-state.
Taking over for Perez is Bishop Edward C. Malesic, who arrives from Greensburg, Pennsylvania, where he had been in a similar position since 2015.
The news was made official by the Vatican as Malesic was introduced in Cleveland on July 16.
From WEWS News 5 Cleveland:
Malesic graduated from Central Dauphin High School in Harrisburg in 1978. Upon entering the seminary, he carried out ecclesiastical studies at Pontifical College Josephine in Columbus, where he obtained a Bachelor’s in Philosophy.
Malesic officially was ordained as a Priest with the Diocese of Harrisburg in 1987.
Click here to read more.
Article Courtesy of WEWS News 5 Cleveland
First and Second Picture Courtesy of Douglas Sacha and Getty Images
First and Second Video Courtesy of YouTube and WEWS News 5 Cleveland
Tweet and Third Picture Courtesy of Twitter and WEWS News 5 Cleveland
20 Pictures That Show The Powerful Resilience Of Charleston’s Mother Emanuel AME Church
1. Mother Emanuel AME Church held its first service since the shooting death of nine African-American church members on June 17.Source: 1 of 20
2. People line up to enter for Sunday service at the Emanuel AME Church.Source: 2 of 20
3. Two children wait to enter the Emanuel AME Church June 21, 2015 in Charleston, South Carolina.Source: 3 of 20
4. A member of the church is seen outside of Emanuel AME before its first service since the Charleston shooting.Source: 4 of 20
5. A Charleston County sheriff’s deputy checks bags as people line up to enter for Sunday service at the Emanuel AME Church.Source: 5 of 20
6. Gloria Moore watches the church as parishioners take their seats at the Emanuel AME Church.Source: 6 of 20
7. A woman prays as she attends the Sunday service outside of the Emanuel AME Church.Source: 7 of 20
8. People pray and listen to the Sunday service outside of the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina.Source: 8 of 20
9. Parishioners sit at Emanuel AME Church four days after a mass shooting that claimed the lives of its pastor and eight others.Source: 9 of 20
10. The Rev. Norvel Goff, right, prays at the empty seat of the Rev. Clementa Pinckney.Source: 10 of 20
11. South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, R-S.C., embraces U.S. Sen Tim Scott, R-S.C., at Emanuel AME Church.Source: 11 of 20
12. A parishioner prays at the empty seat of the Rev. Clementa Pinckney at the Emanuel AME Church.Source: 12 of 20
13. The congregation departs following Sunday services at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina.Source: 13 of 20
14. A family is seen leaving Emanuel AME Church following Sunday services.Source: 14 of 20
15. People embrace as they depart the Emanuel AME Church following Sunday services.Source: 15 of 20
16. Church members comfort one another after Emanuel’s first service since the Charleston shooting.Source: 16 of 20
17. Church members comfort one another outside of Emanuel.Source: 17 of 20
18. A mother and son surround a memorial for the nine church members killed during the Charleston shooting.Source: 18 of 20
19. Charleston natives comfort each other during the church’s first service since the shooting on June 17.Source: 19 of 20
20. Activist DeRay McKesson is seen outside of Emanuel AME church.Source: 20 of 20
LOCAL NEWS: Catholic Diocese of Cleveland Names Edward Malesic Their New Bishop was originally published on wzakcleveland.com