More questions remain regarding the death of Mikayla Miller, a 16-year-old queer Black teen who was found dead in Hopkinton, Massachusetts, on April 18.
On May 21 Mikayla’s supporters plan to march to Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan’s office to call for her resignation and to pressure law enforcement to turn the case over to the FBI because of Ryan’s mishandling, the Telgram & Gazette reports. The march, hosted by Violence In Boston, will take place days after Mikayla’s one-month death anniversary.
Ryan initially claimed Mikayla’s death was the result of a suicide, but reversed course to announce the investigation was ongoing. Law enforcement officials have released little details due to Mikayla being a minor.
Mikayla’s death is particularly striking as lynching accusations surround her death. Advocacy groups, including Mikayla’s family, believe she was targeted and beaten to death by a group of white teens prior to a jogger discovering her body.
Numerous calls for an independent investigation have rung from groups like the American Civil Liberties Union and local organizers.
Mikayla’s mother Calvina Strothers voiced her frustration on a GoFundMe page, accusing local law enforcement authorities of exhibiting lack of care in the face of experiencing the worst heartbreak in her life.
Strother wrote “instead of answers, the response from the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, State Police and the Hopkinton Police has been the exact opposite: disrespect, slammed doors, misdirection, glaring inconsistencies, extreme confusion, and ultimately, silence. The only thing these authorities have proved since April 17th is that they are completely incapable of properly investigating this case. We demand an independent investigation. Mikayla and our family deserve so much better. ”
“The current investigation is ONLY occurring due to our family’s persistence, pressure and demands for transparency. Your support has been so helpful in our fight for accountability,” she continued.
Strothers described her daughter as a beautiful soul who enjoyed sports and set her sights on attending a HBCU to pursue a career in journalism.
Earlier this month hundreds gathered at a vigil to pay homage and renew their fight for justice in her death.
'Karens' Gone Wild: Videos Show Privileged White Women Won't Stop Trying To Police Black People
1. Judith Ann Black, racist Burger King Whopper KarenSource:Sumter County Sheriff’s Office 1 of 28
2. Stephanie Denaro, AKA "Bagel Karen"2 of 28
3. Courtside Karen3 of 28
4. Arlo SoHo Karen4 of 28
5. Trader Joe's 'Karen'5 of 28
6. 'Karen' the angry neighbor6 of 28
7. ‘Karen’ Pulls Gun On Black Woman And Daughter After Chipotle Argument7 of 28
8. Nurse ‘Karen’ Fired8 of 28
9. St. Louis 'Karen'9 of 28
10. ‘Karen’s Husband’ Investigated After Calling Cops On Black Men10 of 28
11. Convenience Store ‘Karen’11 of 28
12. Nurse ‘Karen’ Loses Her Job For ‘Black Privilege’ Video12 of 28
13. Seattle ‘Karen’ Has A Total Meltdown After Black Driver Records Her ‘White Tears’13 of 28
14. Officer ‘Karen’ Is Slammed For Crying White Tears Over McDonald’s Wait14 of 28
15. Kroger ‘Karen’ Blocks Black Mother From Pulling Out Of Parking Lot Over ‘Gatorade’15 of 28
16. San Francisco ‘Karen’ Who Called Cops Over ‘BLM’ Art16 of 28
17. Karen the "Shorewood Spitter"17 of 28
18. Karen's husband18 of 28
19. Karen's other husband19 of 28
20.20 of 28
21.21 of 28
22.22 of 28
23.23 of 28
24.24 of 28
25.25 of 28
26.26 of 28
27.27 of 28
28.28 of 28
#JusticeForMikaylaMiller: Supporters Call For DA’s Resignation, FBI Intervention was originally published on newsone.com