The blogosphere is crying hypocrisy over the First Lady – leader of the “Let’s Move!” initiative to curb childhood obesity – ordering a highly caloric meal of burger, fries, chocolate shake and Diet Coke at the new Shake Shack in Washington D.C.
The Washington Post calculated the amount to be about 1,700 calories.
The uproar follows similar controversy last month over President Obama’s sausage-featured photo-op with British Prime Minister David Cameron.
Neil Barnard, M.D. president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, wrote on The Huffington Post: “The First Lady’s signature anti-obesity campaign — Let’s Move — is no match for the administration’s ongoing purchases of sausage, cheese, burgers and other fatty foods that are sent to schools everyday. And the U.S. Department of Agriculture continues to bow to the interests of meat lobbyists and heavily subsidize the production of meat and other unhealthful foods.”
However, “Good Morning America” pointed out that last year Michelle Obama told ABC News: “I love burgers and fries, you know? And I love ice cream and cake. So do most kids. We’re not talking about a lifestyle that excludes all that. That’s the fun of being a kid. That’s the fun of being a human.” [Watch below.]
- Gospel Music Icon Bishop F.C. Barnes Passes Away
- Cleveland Interview Starts Drama With Basketball Wives Evelyn Lozada & Jennifer Williams
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Michele Bachmann On ‘The View’ [VIDEO]
- Shots Fired: Miguel Apologizes To Lloyd’s Hair [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Up-Date: Funeral Arrangements Set For Gospel Singer Bishop F.C. Barnes
- Alicia Keys & SWIZZ BEAT’S Baby Boy Egypt
- R. Kelly Catches A Case On Tour In Cleveland [VIDEO]
- Terry McMillan: Follow Up To ‘Waiting To Exhale’ Almost Ready
- Amber Rose Gets Wiz Khalifa Tattoo [PHOTO]
- RHOA Star Nene Leakes’ Son In Trouble With The Law Again!
- BET’s ‘Sunday Best’ Returns For Fourth Season