Despite facing the challenges of teen motherhood, Kymberly Wimberly had the highest GPA in her graduating class at McGehee Secondary School in Arkansas. Yet shortly after being named her school’s 2011 valedictorian, administrators announced that she would share the title with a classmate…who happened to be white and with a lower class average. Claiming that this snub is the latest in a long history of bias against black students, Wimberly is taking the matter to court.
Wimberly told CNN that Black students were encouraged to stay in regular courses and play sports, while whites were pushed to take honors and advance placement classes. She was the only Black student in her AP lit course and one of two in AP calculus. She is asking for $75,000 in punitive damages and acknowledgement as the sole valedictorian in her class. Wimberly claims that her AP biology class, which was taught by a teacher who motivated students of all races to sign up, was the only advanced course to mirror the nearly half-black racial makeup of the school.
- Celebrities We’d Like to See Without Their Weaves [PHOTOS]
- Comedian Dave Chappelle Gets Heckled And Bombs On Miami Stage [Video]
- Diggy Simmons & Mindless Behavior Greet Cleveland Fans [PHOTOS]
- God, Sex and Abstinence: Why I Wish I’d Waited
- Shocking! Police Strip Man In Snow, Beat And Tase Him On Video
- Patti Labelle Praises Ledisi As Her Successor [VIDEO]
- Lauryn Hill Gives Birth To Baby Boy [PHOTOS]
- Michael Jackson’s Brothers Protest Tribute Concert
- Big Blow to Defense In MJ Manslaughter Trial
- Tragedy! Former Kentucky Basketball Player Shot To Death
- [ione-gallery id=”521562″ src=”http://newsone.com”%5D
2 Alligators Spotted Loose in Ohio, 1 Still Missing
Meagan Good and Jonathan Majors May Be Hollywood’s Newest Couple [LISTEN]
Special K’s ‘Unwelcome to Atlanta’: Stop Moving Here! [AUDIO]
Submit A Black Owned Business For Buy Black Cleveland!
Cleveland Browns Legend Jim Brown Has Passed Away
Father of 4 dies in SouthPark construction site fire, records his last moments on Facebook Live
“I Feel Homeless Without My Wife”: Tyrese Shares How The End Of His Marriage Has Impacted Him [LISTEN HERE]
Cast, Crew and Celebs Hit The Red Carpet For ‘White Men Can’t Jump’ Premiere