Otis Reding, Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson helped shaped the sound that we all enjoy today in all genres of music. These men influenced the sound that we have embraced by using the tenets of the things they learned in church gospels.
Otis Ray Redding, Jr. (September 9, 1941 – December 10, 1967) was an American soul singer-songwriter and record producer. Born in Dawson and later moved to Macon, he began touring with blues guitarist Johnny Jenkins and served as the lead singer in the band “Otis Redding and The Pinetoppers.” He signed a contract with recording label Stax Records and released his debut album Pain in My Heart. This album produced several successful singles, including “These Arms of Mine,” which peaked at number 20 on the R&B Billboard chart and at number 85 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
His earliest influence was Little Richard (Richard Penniman),also a Macon resident. Redding said, “If it hadn’t been for Little Richard, I would not be here. I entered the music business because of Richard – he is my inspiration. I used to sing like Little Richard, his Rock ‘n’ Roll stuff, you know. Richard has soul, too. My present music has a lot of him in it.”
Here is Otis Live in 1967
Most Popular Articles
- Drake Caught Kissing Woman! [PHOTO]
- Katt Wiliams kicked out of his own show!
- Nicki Minaj Nip Slip Caught On Tape [VIDEO]
- The O’Jays Homecoming & Scholarship Foundation Celebration
- Is Stacey Dash Getting Fired From “Single Ladies”?
- Video Shows White Teens Attacking Black Man To Death
- Jennifer Williams Talks About The Drink-In-The-Face Splash Heard Around The World [VIDEO]
- Shocking! Mississipi Hate Crime Killing Caught On Video
- Naked woman thrown from van in Cleveland!
Mississippi Welfare Scandal: Brett Favre’s Defamation Lawsuit Against Shannon Sharpe Dismissed
White Man Carrying Rifle Through Black Neighborhood Confronted By Black Business Owner
More Than 1000 Kids Reported Missing In Ohio This Year, Per Report
Teens Charged For Public Square Shooting In Cleveland
5 Children Shot, 1 Killed, In Ohio Drive-By Shooting
Cleveland: Police Capture Bull Roaming Alone On Superior Avenue
Krayzie Bone Update: Another Surgery Needed For Cleveland Legend
Recap: Thrillers, Chillers, Docs And Even RZA Took Over Urbanworld Film Festival 2023