Nick Ashford, one-half of the legendary Motown songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson that penned elegant, soulful classics for the likes of Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye and funk hits for Chaka Khan and others, died Monday at age 70, his former publicist said.
Liz Rosenberg, who also was Ashford’s longtime friend, told The Associated Press that Ashford – who along with wife Valerie Simpson wrote some of Motown’s biggest hits – died in a New York City hospital. He had been suffering from throat cancer and had undergone radiation treatment.
Though they had some of their greatest success at Motown with classics like “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and “Reach Out And Touch Somebody’s Hand” by Ross and “You’re All I Need To Get By” by Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Ashford & Simpson also created classics for others, like the anthem “I’m Every Woman” by Khan (and later remade by Whitney Houston).
They also had success writing for themselves: Perhaps the biggest known hit sung by them was the 1980s hit “Solid As A Rock.”
Ashford is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Most Popular Articles
- SHOCKING! Couple Adopted 2 Daughters, Then Beat Them To Death! [VIDEO]
- Get a FREE Smartphone!
- J-Hud Goes Ham On A Fan On Twitter For Questioning Her Weight Loss And “Gay” Husband
- Doctors Told Her She Miscarried, Truth Is Baby Was Still Alive
- Royce Reed’s “Basketball Wives” Boyfriend Gets Another Woman Pregnant
- Happy Birthday Michael Jackson Tribute
- Keyshia Cole & Daniel Gibson Give Back: Braids & Fades [EVENT]
- Former RHOA Star Lisa Wu-Hartwell and Ed Hartwell Split
- Halle Berry Celebrates 45th Birthday In A Bikini!
- Local Rapper, MGK, Arrested At Strongsville Mall For Insiting #FlashMob [VIDEO]
- [ione-gallery id=”275277″ src=”https://theurbandaily.com”%5D
Black Ministers Refuse To Endorse Trump EXCEPT For This Cleveland Pastor…. [VIDEO]
White Man Carrying Rifle Through Black Neighborhood Confronted By Black Business Owner
Akron: 5 Teenagers Arrested For Brutal Armed Robbery
Rihanna Tops Our List Of Celebrity All-White Fashion Looks. See Who Else Is Included.
1 killed, 1 injured in explosion at Titans’ Caleb Farley home near Lake Norman
Auto Theft in Sheffield Village Leads to 7 City High Speed Police Chase
Ben Simmons Open to Return to Sixers, Philly Fans Say The Feeling Isn’t Mutual
5 Ways Michael Jackson Influenced The World Outside Of Music