The California man believed to be the maker of an anti-Islam film that ignited a firestorm in the Muslim world was cooperative when authorities escorted him to a voluntary interview, officials said Saturday.
“It was all choreographed,” said Steve Whitmore of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. “He was ready and willing and very cooperative.”
The overnight meeting with a probation officer came a day after federal officials said they were reviewing the probation of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, who was convicted of bank fraud in 2010 and placed on supervised probation for five years.
Federal officials consider Nakoula to be the filmmaker behind the anti-Islam “Innocence of Muslims.”
Whitmore told CNN that Nakoula left the local sheriff’s station after the federal officials were done interviewing him.
“He is gone and he is free,” he said of Nakoula, who was bundled up in a coat, hat and white scarf as he was escorted from his house. Nakoula decided to cover himself, Whitmore told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.
Whitmore earlier dismissed reports that Nakoula had been arrested, saying he was never in handcuffs or in custody.
Karen Redmond, a spokeswoman for the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, said Friday that Nakoula’s federal probation was under review.
Redmond didn’t provide details of why or when the probation review was initiated, or how long the process would take.
While on probation, Nakoula can’t access computers or any device that can access the Internet without approval from his probation officer.
Read Full Story
Article courtesy cnn.com