Breast Cancer Facts:
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women.
- One in every eight women in the United States develops breast cancer.
- There are many types of breast cancer that differ in their capability of spreading (metastasizing) to other body tissues.
- The causes of breast cancer are not yet fully known although a number of risk factors have been identified.
- There are many different types of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is diagnosed with physician and self-examination of the breasts, mammograms, ultrasound testing, and biopsy. Treatment of breast cancer depends on the type of cancer and its stage (the extent of spread in the body).
According to the American Cancer society:
- Over 230,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are diagnosed each year.
- Nearly 40,000 women are expected to die of breast cancer in 2013.
- There are over 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
- The recommendations regarding frequency and age when women should get screening mammography differ slightly between different organizations and task forces.
- Between 40 and 50 years of age, mammograms are recommended every 1 to 2 years (National Cancer Institute).
- After 50 years of age, yearly mammograms are recommended (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and U.S. (Preventive Services Task Force).
- You should discuss with your health care professional the screening frequency that he or she recommends and what guidelines they follow.
- Patients with a family history or specific risk factors might have a different screening schedule including starting screening mammograms at an earlier age.
Source: Radio One Inc.
Photo Credit: NewsOne
Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Breast Cancer Facts! was originally published on praisephilly.com
Black Ministers Refuse To Endorse Trump EXCEPT For This Cleveland Pastor…. [VIDEO]
2024 Urban One Honors Celebrates the BEST IN BLACK! ✨
RIP Greg Gunn: White Ex-Alabama Cop Who Killed Unarmed Black Man Granted Early Release From Prison
Black Music Month Co-Founder Dyana Williams Remembers The Creation Of The National Commemoration
Northeast Ohio Pastor Honored In Oakwood Village
Kelly Loeffler Of KKK Selfie Fame Whitesplains Fani Willis, Nathan Wade Relationship In Trump-Loving Op-Ed
Report: Minor Earthquake In Northeast Ohio
Missing 5 Year Old Amber Alert Victim Feared To Be Dead