CLEVELAND – The word spread quickly Friday across the Internet that the long-awaited second “Ghostbusters” sequel was not just happening but that it would be filmed in Cleveland next year.
But a representative from Sony Pictures says it’s too early to say when or where the movie will be filmed, telling NewsChannel5 that the studio, which owns the rights to the franchise, is in talks with numerous cities.
“Ghostbusters 3″ has been in limbo for years as filmmakers have juggled scripts and star Bill Murray’s objections over appearing in a new installment.
In May, actor Dan Aykroyd told ShortList.com he and director Ivan Reitman were meeting in Cleveland to discuss the movie.
“I’m going to be meeting Ivan on June 7 in Cleveland, which is exciting as it’s been on and off for a few years but we’re really looking at a solid script now,” Aykroyd said.
It isn’t clear whether that meeting–or anything else–means the film is definitely taking place.
An employee in the Cleveland Film Commission told NewsChannel5 it’s “in talks” with Sony, and that a “Ghostbusters” deal is not “set in stone” yet.
But Cleveland Film Commission President Ivan Schwarz responded by email: “I am sorry but we have no comment at this time.”
Aykroyd told ABC News earlier this year he expected filming would start in 2014.
This news follows closely after SchmoesKnow.com said earlier this week that Emma Stone and Jonah Hill were signed to appear in “Ghostbusters 3.”
Article Courtesy of WEWS NewsChannel 5
Picture Courtesy of Getty Images and WEWS NewsChannel 5
Could “Ghostbusters III” End Up Filming in Cleveland? was originally published on wzakcleveland.com