Pools and summertime are the best of friends. But experts are stressing the importance of controlling a potentially dangerous health risk – drinking the pool water.
It’s very common for people, especially children, to get water in their mouths. Although swallowing a small amount of pool water has been deemed harmless by doctors, it’s important to realize that ingesting too much can lead to very dangerous situations.
Chlorine poisoning. Otherwise known as recreational water illness, chlorine poisoning occurs when someone swallows or breathes in (inhales) chlorine.
Secondary drowning. A condition where water is inhaled into their lungs.
Bacterial/parasite infection. Chlorine is used to help get rid of bacteria such as E. coli and parasites, but it may not eliminate all of them.
The Warning Signs of A Pool Problem