Here is some background on the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
On September 11, 2001, 19 men hijack four fuel-loaded commercial airlines bound for west coast destinations. This terrorist attack on the United States is orchestrated by al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.A total of 2,977 people are killed in New York City, Washington, DC and outside of Shanksville, Pennsylvania, in the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history.
At the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan, 2,753 people are killed when hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175 are intentionally crashed in the north and south towers.
Of those who perish during the initial attacks and the subsequent collapses of the towers, 343 are New York City firefighters, another 23 are New York City police officers and 37 others are officers at the Port Authority.
September 11, 2001
– 8:46am ET – American Airlines Flight 11 (traveling from Boston to Los Angeles) strikes the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York City.
– 9:03am ET – United Airlines Flight 175 (traveling from Boston to Los Angeles) strikes the south tower of the World Trade Center in New York City.
– 9:37am ET – American Airlines Flight 77 (traveling from Dulles, Virginia to Los Angeles) strikes the Pentagon Building in Washington.
– 9:59am ET – South tower of WTC collapses in approximately 10 seconds.
– 10:03am ET – United Airlines Flight 93 (traveling from Newark, New Jersey to San Francisco) crashes in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
– 10:28am ET – North tower of WTC collapses. The time between the first attack and the collapse of both World Trade Center towers is 102 minutes.
CLICK HERE to read story