CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Metropolitan School District plans to hold a series of meetings to discuss recommendations that would have the district undergo drastic changes to ensure students remain a top priority despite the district’s limited financial resources.
“These recommendations, which are based on extensive data analysis and community feedback, are only for K-8 schools,” district officials said. “A similar process for high schools will take place in the fall.”
CMSD CEO Eric Gordan will share the recommendations with residents during six community meetings beginning May 15 through June 1.
According to district officials, the recommendations would lead to the closure of four schools and the relocation of five others.
Willow, Iowa-Maple, Michael R. White and Case would close, officials said. Kenneth W. Clement Boys’ Leadership Academy, Valley View Boys’ Leadership Academy, Tremont Montessori, Boltan and Dike School of Arts would be relocated. Officials said the two all-boys schools be consolidated, as well as Bolton and Dike. District officials said the four schools are older buildings with low enrollment and received a D or F on recent state report cards.
The recommendation calls for the renovation or construction of five new buildings for children in the following seven schools: Clark, Walton, Denison, Charles A. Mooney, Joseph M. Gallagher, Marion C. Seltzer and Douglas MacArthur Girl’s Leadership Academy. According to the district, Clark and Walton would be consolidated, as well as Denison and Mooney. The five selected schools would move from older buildings to more modern ones, the district stated.
READ MORE: News5Cleveland.com
Article Courtesy of WEWS News 5 Cleveland
First and Second Picture Courtesy of joe daniel price and Getty Images
What Makes Downtown Cleveland So Sexy?
1. Crystal Chandelierat PlayHouse SquareSource:Getty 1 of 13
2. Solar panels outside the Great Lakes Science Center.Source:Getty 2 of 13
3. The Rock And Roll Hall Of FameSource:Getty 3 of 13
4. Aerial view of downtown Cleveland's Public SquareSource:Getty 4 of 13
5. Soldiers and Sailors monument in Cleveland, Ohio, USASource:Getty 5 of 13
6. Downtown Cleveland's historic building on Public SquareSource:Getty 6 of 13
7. The exterior of Key Tower.Source:Getty 7 of 13
8.8 of 13
9. Downtown Old Stone ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 13
10.10 of 13
11. The interior of the Tower City Center.Source:Getty 11 of 13
12. Cleveland Convention Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USASource:Getty 12 of 13
13.13 of 13
LOCAL NEWS: CMSD Announcing Changes Including Some School Closings and Openings was originally published on wzakcleveland.com